Thursday, September 9, 2010

I Was Mighty Turned Around...


Daniel Boone is quoted to have said, "I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once."

Well, while I not have been "lost", but for about a year I felt "mighty turned around"! (Who am I kidding! I felt lost!)

Some of you might have wondered what's been going on in my life recently, and especially for those in our congregation, I felt like I wanted to share with you a little bit of my journey.

Last year, as I approached 40, I began to really ask myself some questions, like;
  • "What do I want to be when I grow up?"
  • "Where do I want to live?"
  • "What do I want to be remembered for?"
  • "Am I at where I want to be?"
  • "Is this all that life has to offer me, or is there something more I should be pursuing?"
Well, those questions sent me into a bit of a quandary, because I really didn't know how to answer those questions. (And that's not a fun place to live.)

The only sure things I knew were;
  • I want to be in the center of God's will for my life.
  • I want to finish my journey with my wife, Cyndi.
  • God has called me to "serve" Him.
So, to make a really long story not quite so long, I think I experienced a mid-life crisis of sorts. I began to seriously consider packing up my wife and dog and running away from everything familiar, in order to try to find the answer to some of these questions.

Fortunately for me, God is good, our church is wonderful, and my wife is wise. So, since I have enough sense not to make a major shift without my wife's 100% support, we held steady. (Which wasn't too hard since we have a great life, here in Bayou Gauche).

This past spring, (2010), it felt like God broke His silence and spoke to me.

What He spoke to me helped me to understand that I'm exactly where He wants me to be, and I'm doing exactly what He wants me to be doing... it's just that I wasn't seeing what He wanted me to see.

So, I began to ask the Lord to help me to see what He wanted me to see. And, wow. This past summer, I saw some things that I've never seen before. You can call it "vision". You can call it a "dream". You can call it "connecting the dots". But whatever you call it, it's absolutely captured my imagination!

I can't wait to get up in the mornings, I hate to go to bed, and I don't want to do anything but pursue the vision/dream I believe God has for me and our church.

So, if it seems like I'm a little different... it's because I am.

And I just wanted you to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment